Thursday, February 26, 2009

Evening Poem #54

Just like that line in Pretty Woman
about a girl never dreaming about
growing up to be a hooker, none
of us dreamed about this have-
not-ing, either. Okay. Have not
is a little extreme. Have
some, maybe? Here is where
I would usually litany
the concrete images of have-
soming. Insert your images
here:__________________.
And then I would probably
string together a few
related ones that both
suggest a certain middle
class wanting and having.
Then a few more (probably
three to please Aristotle)
that are full blown
haves, which would contradict
the summation lines
at the beginning of the poem
but make the point I
already know: we have
enough and more, are
probably spoiled a little,
like the half drunk
carton of milk sitting
in my frig door, ruining
from the lack of someone
wanting to drink it up,
right from the jug, a drip
of milk hitting the bare
foot of the thirsty
having some milk, padding
back to the bed with his
sound obligations, his down
comforter around his neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment