Friday, February 12, 2010

Reader: An Apology

By now, I guess you're actually sick
of hearing from me, but I don't
think so. I know I don't exactly
know you, but I kind of do.
And I keep talking to you--
writing to you, that is.
It's just that I really get
that you get me, like gut
get me. I'm sort of in love with you.
I can say things like
you speak the disquiet
of our dark cupboards, or
you've memorized an olecranon
out of existence, parched
the wet center of pomegranate.
I can say things like that,
and you don't hate me for it.
You keep listening to my mind
listening to itself, and I never
get the sense you're thinking
hurry up please, it's time.
The you you are right there,
I don't know, I just want to keep
talking to you like this
because you know that sometimes
I'll slip in a word like burnish
or sycamore, the way I want
to slip my hand in yours,
and you always take it,
no matter how much
I've taken you for granted.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.

    Chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly my favorite mam.

    Your puzzle piece

    ReplyDelete