when you know
all I want to say
is nothing
**********
I've wished I, O
sun-soaked world,
would have thought of waiting
for your hips, dawn
to drown the dark.
And then, O Heaven,
that stark noon
blazing down on me.
*********
If you are squeamish
just keep your eyes
closed. I will be here
when they open.
**********
Now, today, I shall
ask you the question
I've been meaning
to ask you.
Shall I? Dare me.
*********
Neither worms nor
spiders will keep me
from saving you.
The old fears hold no
sway after I saw
your face.
*********
tortoise shell: become
slight. My living with you
is sweeter the closer
we are, elbows rubbing.
That is how I want
to know you. Up close.
*********
the Forges, by sheer force
turn water to fortress,
liquid to will. Lover,
let us go there and touch
the mouth of it, light
like cardinals on their shore.
*********
only breath, words
without fricative, shallow
shadow of the torn up
I am in your arms.
I hate them for their lack
of being between us.
The tongue in my lungs
and the tongue in yours,
all those alveoli swimming
in a world that's ours.
**********
here a fishbasket and oar
There is someone somewhere
who misses them,
who walks around the house
with the other oar
in his hand, thinking:
why did I leave you?
**********
with your fists, girls
demand she take me back.
**********
you remind me
that I should believe
in a loving God.
**********
It's no use
trying to stay away
from you. I found
my mark solid in the center
of your right hand.
Write all the verbs
you know with it.
Write them on my body.
**********
May you sleep then
after.
**********
thrown in, for her
I want to give you
whatever it is
you thought I couldn't.
**********
Although clumsy
I can find my feet
easily and don't stumble
when you're there,
holding my hand.
**********
dill shoots, to cap
your little bowl of cucumber.
Your delicate hand
reaching across the table
for vinegar. Would that
you would find it in you
to reach for me
with that same ease.
I would be there.
**********
This is the dust of little
millions of times
I looked back at you,
wanting your look back
and sometimes catching it
like that rare fly ball
when it comes right
at you, out of nowhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment