Friday, March 26, 2010

Still More Lines From Sappho

The full moon is shining

through half the twiggy stuff
beyond your head, and on my face
already so much like yours.
I'm not sure if it's your light
or the moon's accounts for the deaf
blow which is our beauty.

**********

a circle in the soft

tumble of a white sheet bed,
the depression of your bold
hurricane that surged over me.

*********

stars near the lovely

domes of your wet shoulders.
They swim in dark pools
above and below you, swimmer.

*********

earth with her silver

linings all could not
have warned me
what dark clouds existed
without you. I am an outline
of the body I was with you.

**********

Now, while we dance

out the fight, please
don't drop me.
I do weigh more
than a feather.

**********

It is time now

to forget remembering,
to stop all this nonsense
about the future.
It is now.

**********

Like a quince apple

was to people way back
a symbol of sweetness,
here you are, unpickable
like some clever domain
I wasn't clever enough
to snatch up the first
chance I got.

**********

down-deep sleep; in meadows

this is what I dream about
when I'm not asleep
but not what I dream about
drummed up by your
fingers. Awake!

**********

run, she will soon run after

you. Even though it's dusk,
the cool shelves of the continents
locking their big glass cabinets.
The storekeeper, generous enough
to let you stay without ordering
anything else. She's still
running after you, coffee cold.

**********

I ask you, sir, to

consider splitting that infinitive.
To shamelessly say it,
finally, so there's no doubt.

**********

but we were dark

and didn't notice
how we creeped up on each other,
double thieves, pick-pocketing
our way to here. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment